The purposes of homework.
We hope that our approach to homework will:
- help develop the partnership between school and parents
- provide opportunities for skills and learning to be consolidated and reinforced, in particular in literacy and numeracy
- lead children to use other resources for learning ( at home, in the community and in libraries)
- encourage children to extend the work they do at school, in particular through additional reading
- encourage children to develop the confidence and self discipline to study on their own
- help prepare children for the requirements of secondary school.
We believe that children learn as much from home as they do in school. It isn't always the same things they learn but they are equally valuable skills. We understand homework is a topic which divides opinion. We have clear evidence that children who read regularly at home do make much better progress in reading.
St Marychurch Primary value that some children and their families have a wide range of hobbies and activities that they take part in after school and at weekends and these can be quite time consuming. We also think that it is really important that families can spend some time together doing activites such as playing games, talking about their days at school or work, baking, gardening or going out and about in our lovely country or coastal areas.
We will expect ALL children in KS1 and KS2 to do the following tasks EVERY WEEK at home:
- Learning spelling - patterns, key words or investigations
- Learning number facts - number bonds to 10/20/100, times tables facts.
- Complete any work they have failed to complete in the expected time at school
What if my child enjoys doing extra homework tasks or needs more challenging tasks to complete?
We also know that some children really enjoy doing more practial art-based homework challenged or like to challenge themselves with some tricky maths or demanding grammar. Every teacher in KS1 and KS2 will also send home a list of futher activities children can do each half term. When your child has completed the tasks they should give them to the class teacher.
Below is an expanded version of each of the Team expectations, with details of how extra homework can be accessed in each term.